The Department of Chemical Engineering was formed in 1971, offering a two-year junior college program. The department was upgraded to offer Bachelor of Science degree programs in 1999. The department was additionally renamed the Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering in 2005 to enhance the teaching and research standards of the department, as well as to strengthen the industry-academy cooperative relationship and promote the positive contribution to the overall education and research development.
In 2003, we established the Materials and Chemical Engineering Graduate Institute to recruit for the Master's degree Program.
In 2006, the Graduate Institute of Materials and Chemical Engineering was merged with the Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering as a single teaching and research unit. Starting from 2006, the department has been known as the Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering.
From 2008, in-service master degree program was offered for students who are full-time working at daytime. Presently, the faculty has 22 academic staffs, 4 administration staffs. The department now has 1050 students, including 985 undergraduate students and 65 master students.
· Persistently implement international certification in engineering education.
· Continuously revise the department’s courses.
· Departmental assessment.
· Implementation of the Teaching Excellence Project.
· Implement the reward program for teacher research and academic-industry cooperation.
· Survey the recent alumni situations and complete information updates.
· Implement advertisements and activities aimed at recruiting students.
· Guide students to acquire licenses and actively work towards academic-industry cooperation and authorized research cases in the industry, government, and academic fields. Thereafter, guide students in combining their practical experiences and achievements when returning to the school to contribute to learning contents and completing academic work. In addition, expand the scale of equipment and software, actively obtain a qualified technician on-site, and provide students with a better qualification training program to assist students in efficiently obtaining local and overseas professional licenses, for the purpose of providing students with a strong educational background and capabilities.
· Enhance the functions of the specialty materials center: Integrate the department’s faculty resources, provide training to develop talented people, ensure innovation in research and patent layout, and offer an omnidirectional academic and industry liaison service.
· Strengthen the occurrences of the international exchange of teachers and students.
· Provide technological consulting services to increase the developmental ability of new products and the competitive ability of manufacturers.
· Additionally, install level B qualification chemical engineering examination sites, encourage students to qualify for and acquire a license, and serve the needs of the examinees in the central region.
The department’s teaching objective is to cultivate learning in chemical engineering and materials engineering according to the current educational policy, as well as to collaborate with the demands of the national economic development and industrial & commercial construction while teaching the principal theories and the technical and practical applications of chemical and materials engineering, with the goal of training students to become first-class technological professionals that are equipped with specialized intelligence in the engineering field. The department additionally aims to cultivate professionals that hold an enriched humanistic quality and share a concern for social trends and international perspectives.
In order to accomplish these goals, the teaching characteristics of our department are as follows:
I. The teaching content is categorized into the following two major learning courses:
(I) Chemical Engineering Science & Technology learning courses: organic synthesis, pollution prevention, photocatalyst, electrochemical engineering, chemical process engineering, cleaning process technique, specialty chemicals for electronics, biological
engineering technique, and green energy sources.
(II) Material Technology learning courses: macromolecular materials, biomedical materials, photoelectric materials, nanometer materials, material synthesis, green materials, flat-screen display, and soft electronic materials.
II. We particularly value the training of technical and practical skills according to the actual needs of the industrial circles, thus, we have established courses on “practical topics” and “off-campus internship” to develop students’ abilities in analyzing and solving problems, as well as strengthening their practical technical skills, thereby allowing students to develop skills that are coordinated with the industry needs.
III. We encourage teachers and students to be involved in the industry while treating both practice and theory with equal importance and enhancing mutual benefits through the industry-academy cooperative model.
IV. We support students’ academic and career counseling and encourage students to participate in all levels of chemical engineering and chemical technician verifications in order to obtain their licenses.
The Department of Materials and Chemical Engineering has one class for students in the master’s program, one class for students in the in-service master’s program (Section A: Chemical Engineering and Materials Technology; Section B: Fire Safety), three classes for students in the four-year technical program provided by Day Division, one class for students in the four-year technical program provided by the Division of Continuing and Extension Education, and 2 classes for students in the industry-academy cooperation program.
【Industry-academy Cooperation Program】
In 2008, the Department set up the “Textile Technology (Fiber) Program” and to recruit students. The Department has developed the industry-academy cooperation project by working with more than 18 entities, including Formosa Taffeta Co., Ltd., Chyang Sheng Dyeing & Finishing Co., Ltd., Ho Yu Textile Co., Ltd., Eclat Textile Co., Ltd., Long John Tsung Right Industrial Co., Ltd., Houndey Enterprise Co., Ltd., Honmyue Enterprise Co., Ltd. and Taiwan Textile Research Institute.
Features and Advantages of the Industry-academy Cooperation Program:
- Students acquire a bachelor’s degree conferred by the national university of technology after completing the four-year program.
- The entities providing internship opportunities are selected for benefits for students.
- Rotary teaching is provided. Students work in factories for three months and then study at NCUT for three months.
- It trains students to stand hard work, and has them be employed prior to graduation and obtain not only a bachelor’s degree but also necessary work experience.
- Students are provided with guidance, based on the needs of students, for advanced study in a master’s program.
- Textile is one of the four key points in the “Industrial Fundamental Technology Project” developed by Ministry of Economic Affairs / National Science Council.
The Department has six teaching laboratories, 11 research rooms for special projects, one laboratory in the center of special materials, and five classrooms for teaching of electrochemistry. Teaching laboratories include instrument analysis laboratory, material engineering laboratory, chemical engineering laboratory, organic chemistry laboratory, environmental engineering laboratory, and general chemistry laboratory. Research rooms for special projects include polymer thin film research room, polymer elastomer research room, electro-optic materials research room, green process research room, biochemical engineering research room, process system engineering research room, EBEC research room, special nanomaterial research room, environmental technology research room, and electrochemical micro/nano research room, etc. The laboratory in the center of special materials is the Department’s precision instruments laboratory, providing entities with testing and other technical services.
Laboratories are equipped with excellent equipment and important instruments, including high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), gas chromatograph (GC), flame atomic absorption spectrometer, fluorescence spectrometer, ion-exchange chromatography instrument (IC), dynamic mechanical analyzer (DMA), differential scanning calorimeter (DSC), thermogravimetric analyzer (TGA), powder specific surface area / porosimetry analyzer (BET), contact angle meter, gas permeability tester, Fourier-transform infrared spectrometer (FTIR), scanning electron microscope (SEM), fluorescence spectroscope, ellipsometer, panel water vapor permeation analyzer, panel oxygen permeation analyzer, protein liquid chromatography separation device, electrochemistry impedance spectroscopy, electrochemical analyzer, electrochemical wastewater treatment equipment, wastewater flotation and sedimentation equipment, chemical flocculation and sedimentation equipment, fluid/flow bed heat transmitter, continuous distillation tower, and equipment for vacuum evaporation experiment, etc.
The Department has positively developed industry-academy cooperation and teaching and research work based on the specialties of teachers. By doing so, the Department is able to not only resolve practical issues with partner entities, but also increase opportunities for students to participate in research. The Department cooperates with 15-20 entities every year, such as Hung M&S Biochem Technology Co., Ltd., Everlight Chemical Industrial Corporation, Apex Precision Technology Corporation, Institute of Nuclear Energy Research, Atomic Energy Council, Executive Yuan, and Plastics Industry Development Center.